The 2024 resolution submission window opens April 1, 2024.
Each year, no later than 75 days prior to the SBC Annual Meeting, the SBC president, in conference with the vice presidents, appoints a Committee on Resolutions whose task is to consider and recommend appropriate resolutions to the messengers attending the annual meeting.
If you are a member of a cooperating Southern Baptist Church and are interested in submitting a resolution for consideration by the SBC Committee on Resolutions, please be aware of the following requirements and restrictions:
- Resolutions may be submitted each year for review as early as April 1st.
- Submitted resolutions must be received by the committee NO LATER than 20 days prior to the annual meeting.
- All resolutions must be typewritten, titled, and dated.
- Only members in good standing of churches entitled to send messengers to the next annual meeting of the Southern Baptist Convention may submit resolutions.
- All of the following information must be included with all submissions, regardless of whether they are sent by regular mail or email, and a proper form for supplying such information is supplied here:
- The name of the person submitting the resolution, the church of which he or she is a member, and the name of its pastor (or church clerk if there is no pastor).
- The address of the person submitting the resolution and the address of the church of which the he or she is a member.
- The phone number of the person submitting the resolution and the phone number of the church of which he or she is a member.
- The email address of the person submitting the resolution, the church of which the he or she is a member, and of its pastor (if each has one).
- The website URL of the church (if it has one).
- No person may submit more than 3 resolutions per year.
- All submissions will be dated WHEN RECEIVED by the Committee.
- All submissions must be accompanied by a letter from a church qualified to send a messenger to the annual meeting of the Southern Baptist Convention certifying that the person submitting the resolution is a member in good standing. Resolutions submitted electronically must also be accompanied by certification in writing from the church. Both the resolution and certification letter must be received by the SBC Committee on Resolutions on or before the submission deadline.
Those without access to a computer may contact the office of the vice president for communications (615-782-8645) at the SBC Executive Committee to receive a proper submittal form. The Convention Bulletin will list the title and disposition of all properly submitted resolutions, along with the name and city of residence of the person submitting the resolution. The SBC Committee on Resolutions will take appropriate steps to qualify submissions, including (but not limited to) contacting church leadership to verify active membership in a cooperating Baptist church.
The SBC Committee on Resolutions is vested with the authority to combine, title or retitle, and reword submitted resolutions, and to submit resolutions entirely of its own making. The SBC Committee on Resolutions may decline to recommend properly submitted resolutions to the Convention for adoption; a decision may only be overturned as provided by SBC Bylaw 20.
HOW TO CRAFT A RESOLUTION
Resolution writing generally follows conventional lines. A resolution is usually couched in almost legal phrasing, consisting of two parts: (a) the reasons for the resolution, preceded by WHEREAS, and (b) the resolution itself preceded by be it RESOLVED; in case of more than one “RESOLVED,” be it further RESOLVED.
For examples of this, please see previously passed resolutions and use their formatting as a guide.
Before submitting a resolution, please complete the church certification form available below. This form is REQUIRED along with your resolution submission.