The Minister of Students is responsible to the church through the Minister of Discipleship and Senior Pastor for assisting the congregation in planning, implementing, and evaluating a comprehensive ministry to Middle School students, High School students, and College students. This staff person will be regarded as a minister of Jesus Christ, and as such, will share a responsibility for the total church program as directed by the Minister of Discipleship and Senior Pastor.
1. Responsible for the total youth and college ministries of the church under the direction and supervision of the Minister of Discipleship and Senior Pastor in conjunction with the appropriate committees and teams.
2. Assist the Senior Pastor in all areas of the church’s work, including hospital and crisis visitation, prospect visitation, counseling, teaching, and preaching as requested and/or assigned.
3. Direct the planning, coordination, operation, and evaluation of a comprehensive ministry to Middle School students, High School students, college students, and their families.
4. Serve as a member of the Church Council and coordinate the Youth Ministry and College Ministry with the church calendar and overall emphasis of the church.
5. Work closely with the appropriate committees in determining Youth Ministry and College Ministry goals, organizational structures, leadership needs, facility and equipment requirements, budget needs, and administrative policies and procedures.
6. Supervise the purchase, use, and maintenance of all equipment and supplies required by the Youth Ministry and College Ministry.
7. Work closely with the Minister of Discipleship, other staff, organizational leaders, and appropriate nominating committees in order to enlist and train workers in all areas of the Youth Ministry and College Ministry.
8. Be responsible for all promotion and publicity related to the Youth Ministry and College Ministry, including the church newsletter, local newspapers, and other media.
9. Be available for personal ministry and counsel with any Middle School student, High School student, College student, or member of their family, with regard to personal problems or any problems and/or concerns related to the Youth Ministry and College Ministry.
10. Assist in planning the use of program materials, equipment, supplies, and facilities by youth and college students involved in all program organizations.
11. Provide leadership in planning and conducting special projects (such as camps, retreats, seminars, etc.) for Middle School students, High School students, and College students.
12. Provide leadership in developing a plan of evangelistic outreach, personal visitation, and witnessing for Middle School students, High School students, and College students.
13. In consultation with appropriate committees, prepare an annual budget for the Youth Ministry and College Ministry for recommendation to the budget planning committee.
14. Provide leadership in establishing and developing relationships between churches, community organizations, and institutions that are designed to meet the needs of youth and college students.
15. Perform other duties as requested by the Minister of Discipleship, Senior Pastor and/or the congregation.
The Minister of Students must be a professing Christian, an ordained Southern Baptist minister, and possess at least a four-year degree from an accredited university or college. This staff person must have education/training and/or sufficient experience in youth and college ministries.
The Minister of Students must have a lifestyle that reflects a strong commitment to Jesus Christ and His work. The Minister of Students must walk in Christian love and work for the spiritual growth of the fellowship at Spring Valley Baptist Church. The Minister of Students must worship and study God’s Word regularly, observe our ordinances, and give generously and cheerfully of this staff person’s, talents, and possessions in obedience to the Great Commission. (Matthew 28:19-20)
Being aware that the Minister of Students is always under the scrutiny of Christians and non-Christians alike, this staff person will engage in actions that reflect honorably on Christ and His Church.
The Minister of Students is responsible to the congregation and reports to the Minister of Discipleship, the Senior Pastor, and the Personnel Committee.