First Baptist Church of San Francisco (FirstSF) was one of the first Protestant churches on the west coast, founded just months before the 1849 gold rush. San Francisco has long attracted people seeking wealth, independence, and freedom of thought. In this very challenging ministry environment, FirstSF has sought to faithfully deliver the unchanging Gospel of Jesus Christ for 170 years.
As a major hub for business, tech and education, San Francisco draws people from across the country and the world - 37% of residents were born outside the US - and while the city has produced tremendous wealth, the city also has a significant homeless population. FirstSF fully reflects this cultural, ethnic and socio-economic diversity. Just as people from many nations come to us, we have a long history of equipping and sending missionaries worldwide.
We are seeking a senior pastor to lead our staff and congregation of 300+ regular attendees as we seek to live and love for Jesus in our city, region and the world.
We believe a pastor with the following qualities would be particularly well-suited for this role.
• A passion or growing heart for San Francisco and the urban community.
• The ability to connect with city heartbeat industries (finance, tech, healthcare) and their workers inside and outside of the church.
• Experience growing and discipling staff and lay leadership.
We hope that our new pastor will be a spiritual example by joyfully displaying the preeminence of Christ in all spheres of his life. He will treasure the Gospel and seek God daily in the Word, prayer, and meditation, thus fueling his soul’s passion for God and His glory as a disciple of Jesus Christ.
As senior pastor, you will need to perform the following duties.
• Feed the body through weekly teaching and preaching of the inspired and infallible Word of God and through the administration of ordinances.
• Lead the church to become faithful at making disciples of Jesus Christ, cultivating a desire to see God’s kingdom grow both locally and internationally.
• Continually welcome and integrate people of diverse backgrounds with a compassionate and humble heart serving as a peacemaker.
• Lead and develop a church staff of ten.
• Oversee and equip the various ministry teams at the church led by staff or lay leaders. Ministry teams include: Deacons, children, youth, local and international missions, welcome team, special needs ministry, homeless ministry, ESL team, etc.
• Provide pastoral care and counseling.
• Build relationships with other like-minded city churches and parachurch ministries.
• Partner with the Leadership Team to manage the business administration of the church.