Job Description – Associate Pastor of Discipleship
The Associate Pastor is an ordained minister and responsible to assist the Senior Pastor with
ministerial and support needs as they arise. The Associate, like the Pastor, is not responsible for
doing all the work of ministry in the church, but for seeing it is done and done properly. The
Associate Pastor will focus on the spiritual growth of people in the church and their successful
transition within the Next Generation Ministries of the church.
• Organize and lead student ministry activities, Bible studies, and services. Specifically, lead the
student ministry on Sunday evenings and Wednesday evenings.
• Find ways to partner with parents and grandparents in their role as the primary disciple-makers
in the home.
• Assist the Senior Pastor in implementing an overall discipleship strategy as a church that will
include Sunday school, small group studies, and training.
• Work with the Sunday school director to help recruit and train teachers on a regular basis. Give
direction to Sunday school as it relates to the overall discipleship strategy of the church.
• Preach and baptize in Sunday services as needed.
• With the help of ministry volunteers and leaders, provide direction and guidance for children’s
ministries in the church such as kid’s church, toddler’s church, nursery, etc.
• Assist in pastoral care by praying with church members and guests who express difficulties in
their life and visiting grieving church members.
• Teach regular Bible study classes or Sunday school classes.
• Conduct weddings and funerals for church members if needed.
• Represent the Senior Pastor at committee and ministry team meetings as requested.
• Cooperate with all staff to promote the entire ministry plan of the church.
• Maintain a continued growth of personal calling and walk with the Lord through Bible study
• Maintain personal priorities with home and family as the spiritual leader.
• Develop and exercise personal evangelism within and outside the church.
• Give graciously to the church through tithes and offerings.
• Support the vision of the church and work to assist the Senior Pastor in implementing the
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
Clear calling from God to ministry in the church. Some college or completed Bachelor's Degree preferred.