The Pastor is to be the spiritual leader of the church. As such, he is responsible to the Lord and to the congregation, primarily to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ and to teach from God’s Holy Word. The pastor is responsible for providing spiritual instruction and strategic leadership to the members, staff and ministries of the church. He is also to engage in pastoral care, meeting the needs of those in the congregation and within the church community.
1. Be responsible for the spiritual welfare and oversight of the church.
2. Plan, conduct and evaluate the weekly worship services of the church in coordination with other ministerial staff members.
3. Prepare and deliver sermons for all worship services, and arrange for someone else to perform this function as necessary.
4. Plan for and provide leadership in the observance of the church ordinances of baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
5. Lead the congregation in planning, organizing, directing and coordinating effective programs to fulfill the Great Commission with vision, purpose and priority.
6. Inspire and encourage members to become involved in discipleship and ministry opportunities.
7. Personally and actively lead the congregation to participate in both local and global mission efforts.
8. Visit and minister to church members and prospective members in homes, nursing care facilities, hospitals and throughout the church community.
9. Provide premarital counseling, perform wedding ceremonies, and conduct funeral services for church members as requested.
10. Recommend and advise on the selection of all staff members and in determining their duties.
11. Serve as administrator of the church staff, supervising their work, meeting with them as needed, and providing annual written evaluations to the Personnel Committee.
12. Be supportive of the Lynchburg Baptist Association (LBA), the Baptist General Association of Virginia (BGAV) and the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC), cooperating with the leadership of these organizations in matters of mutual interest and concern.
13. Adhere to the declaration of faith, church covenant, constitution and by-laws which have been adopted by the church.
14. Serve as the church moderator and preside at all business meetings of the church.
15. Serve as an ex-officio member of the deacons and report to the monthly deacons’ meetings.
16. Appoint members to the Church Nominating Committee and the Deacon Nominating Committee each year, in consultation with the Chairman of the Deacons.
17. Counsel with and assist in the training of deacons for their responsibilities.
18. Serve as an ex-officio member of all committees of the church and attend committee meetings whenever possible.
19. Appoint other ministry teams and/or task forces as the church may request or the pastor may deem advisable from time to time.
20. Maintain a vital and wholesome personal relationship with the Lord through daily Bible study and prayer.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified, to perform the essential functions.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required)
1. Must possess and passionately convey a strong vocational calling to ministry.
2. Must meet the Biblical qualifications as set forth in I Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9.
3. Must have a seminary degree with thorough knowledge and understanding of literature and research in faith development and Baptist doctrine. A seminary doctorate is preferred.
4. Must have a minimum of 6 years of Senior Pastoral experience in a Southern Baptist church.
5. Must be a licensed Southern Baptist Minister and duly ordained in accordance with the Southern Baptist Convention.
6. Must have a clear understanding of The Baptist Faith and Message, a statement of generally held convictions of the Southern Baptist Convention.
7. Must be an effective communicator, with the ability to teach sound doctrine and to preach effectively from the Holy Bible.
8. Must have a passion for missions, a heart for the community, and experience connecting with community members in an urban setting.
9. Must be able to articulate a vision for the church which emphasizes spiritual growth, Christian education and development.
10. Must have a relational personality and the ability to minister to people across all generations and cultures.
11. Must be able to effectively lead and equip the staff and congregation to strengthen discipleship and ministry opportunities, including young couples and children.
12. Must have a cooperative spirit when working with church staff, program directors, and appropriate church committees.
13. Must demonstrate strong administrative skills and have a commitment to a team approach to ministry.
14. Must have a strong prayer and devotional life.
15. Must possess a keen desire to live with integrity to God’s Word and as a godly example before the entire congregation.
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements*
1. Must have the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
2. Must exhibit manual dexterity, hear and understand speech at normal levels.
3. Must speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly.
4. Must have physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds.
5. Must be able to bend, stoop, climb stairs, walk and reach overhead.
*The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Duties are performed in an office and/or church ministry environment with no unusual physical demands. The physical requirements described herein are representative of those which must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities, who are otherwise qualified, to perform the essential functions.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The West Lynchburg Personnel Committee, empowered by the Congregation of West Lynchburg Baptist Church, reserves the right to update, revise, or change this job description and related duties at any time.
West Lynchburg Baptist Church is seeking a full time Senior Pastor, called by God who will be the spiritual leader of the church. The qualified candidate is responsible to the Lord and church to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ, to teach the Bible, to provide Christian leadership in all areas of the church, and to engage in pastoral care for the congregation.
The candidate should:
• Have a passion for missions, a heart for the community, and experience connecting with community members in an urban setting.
• Articulate a vision for the church that emphasizes spiritual growth, Christian education and development.
• Have a relational personality, and have the ability to minister to people across all generations and cultures.
• Have the skills to grow our church by effectively leading and equipping staff and the congregation to strengthen discipleship and ministry opportunities, including young couples and children.
• Must have a minimum of 6 years of Senior Pastoral experience in a Southern Baptist Church. A seminary Doctorate is preferred
• Must meet qualifications as set forth in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9.
• Must be a licensed Southern Baptist Minister, and duly ordained in accordance with the Southern Baptist Church.
• Must have a clear understanding of the Southern Baptist Doctrine, as well as being an effective communicator, with the ability to teach sound doctrine, and to preach effectively from the Holy Bible.