POSITION TITLE: Minister to Students and Young Adults
REPORTS TO: Associate Pastor of Children and Family Ministry
Salary Classification: Exempt
Level: Full-time pastoral position with pastoral benefits
A. PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY / FUNCTION:
The Minister to Students and Young Adults will serve the church by leading, coordinating, overseeing, and continuing to develop the church’s ministry to sixth-twelfth grade, college students, and young adults of a similar age. The Minister to Students and Young Adults works under the supervision of the Associate Pastor of Children & Family Ministries. The Minister to Students and Young Adults supervises paid support staff and student interns, as well as ministry volunteers.
B. MAJOR ACCOUNTABILITIES:
1. Give leadership to a comprehensive ministry for middle school, high school, and college students. Work with support staff, interns and volunteers to give supervision and coordination to students’ Sunday Morning Bible Study, small groups, activities, and individual opportunities for growth in following Christ.
2. Work closely with the Associate Pastor of Family Ministries and/or Senior Pastor to enact a consistent discipleship strategy that integrates with the church’s broader discipleship strategy.
3. Work closely with the Associate Pastor of Missions and Pastoral Care to lean an active outreach ministry for students. Counsel students who show interest in making a profession of faith. Lead students to participate in the larger church’s outreach ministry.
4. Stay informed and up-to-date of methods, materials and strategies that relate to college ministry. Approve and supervise curriculum for the ministry in conjunction with the Associate Pastor of Children and Family Ministries.
5. Help select, enlist, and develop volunteers in the youth and college ministry. Conduct special training projects focused on education and motivation for ministry workers and key leaders.
6. Assist in the preparation of an annual budget for the student ministry. Monitor expenditures in relation to the student budget.
7. Supervise the administration of our Safe Church policies and procedures within the college student ministry, coordinating with the Church Administrator.
8. Work with the Associate Pastor of Children and Family Ministries and Associate Pastor of Adult Discipleship in ensuring smooth transitions for people moving to and from the other ministries.
9. Integrate missions and service into the life of families with students.
10. Partner with families to make disciples of their students at home by training and equipping them.
C. INDIRECT RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assist with pastoral ministries as needed and assigned, including worship, preaching and teaching, visitation, counseling and referrals, grief ministry and funerals, premarital counseling, and weddings.
2. Participate in pastoral staff meetings, committee meetings, and other meetings when requested by the Associate Pastor of Children and Family Ministries or the Senior Pastor.
3. Coordinate a program of publicity and marketing for student ministry. Work with support staff and the Director of Communications, providing input related to ministry activities in church publications and publications specific to family ministry. Provide input to the church website that is consistent with church branding.
4. Perform other duties as needed or assigned by the Senior Pastor.
D. PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Grow in your relationship with Jesus Christ through regular prayer and Bible study.
2. Be a faithful member of First Baptist Church of Tallahassee.
3. Display the Christian character, integrity, love, leadership, humility, and spiritual maturity that this position demands.
E. CORE COMPETENCIES:
1. Quality of Work. Gathers and organizes resources necessary to timely and efficiently complete projects and assignments; work product is accurate; takes steps to effectively correct any deficiencies; understands and follows church personnel, financial and Safe Church policies.
2. Interpersonal Relationships. Promotes harmony and cooperation within working relationships; receives and makes assignments well; effectively addresses and resolves conflicts with others.
3. Initiative and Self-Reliance. Takes action without direction; uses sound judgment in decision making; looks for new and better ways to accomplish goals.
4. Dependability. Accomplishes all tasks within the proper time frame, eliminating the need for close review; flexible, generally willing to change plans in order to meet new expectations; punctual, and adheres to attendance and time off policies.
5. Trust and Integrity. Is widely trusted; seen as direct and truthful; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; adheres to an appropriate and effective set of core values.
6. Hospitality. Sets a friendly tone towards outsiders. Seeks to reach the unchurched and welcome strangers.
7. Evangelism. Ability to share our faith with others.
1. A clear testimony of faith in Jesus Christ.
2. Seminary degree preferred or equivalent and 3 – 5 years on a church staff.
3. Strong abilities in leadership, discipleship, equipping and recruiting others for ministry, college ministry, and teamwork within a pastoral staff.
A letter of interest, resume with current photo, philosophy of ministry statement, testimony and call to ministry statement, and a succinct statement of faith should be sent to email@example.com. We will take applications through October 25.
Dr. Gary Shultz
Who We Are (Mission Statement) Our mission as a church is to be a God-centered, Bible-directed, people-focused, caring body of baptized believers in Jesus Christ; led by the Holy Spirit in worshiping, serving, and sharing Christ, and in equipping believers to carry out the Great Commission in the community and throughout the world.