• Committed Christ-follower who feels a call by God into full-time ministry
• Love for children and families
• Strong organizational and leadership skills
• Ability to build and lead volunteer teams
• Oversee all programming and ministry for children ages birth – 6th grade, including Sunday mornings,
Wednesday nights, summer programming, special events, etc…
• Choose and prepare curriculum for each program and each age level.
• Create environments, activities and programming for each age group that will facilitate learning and
encourage spiritual growth.
• Recruit, train, schedule and lead teams of volunteers.
• Provide care for children and families within the church including hospital visits and follow-up.
• Maintain a strategy for reaching and assimilating new children and families.
• Plan and oversee special events such as VBS, Fall Festival, Baby Dedications, etc…
The Children’s Pastor/Director provides direction and oversight for the entire Turning Point Kids ministry. (infant – 6th grade). Turning Point at Mabel White Baptist Church offers full children’s programming for services on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings. The Children’s Pastor/Director provides leadership, training, support and oversight to all Children’s Ministry staff volunteer & paid. The Children’s Pastor/Director works closely with the Next Generation Pastor and is responsible for the implementation and development of programming for the spiritual formation of children and equipping parents to fulfill their calling as the primary spiritual leaders of their children.
• Previous experience directing a large children’s ministry, including leadership of ministry staff (paid or
volunteer staff members and/or a large volunteer team of 20+ volunteers).
• BA or BS degree required; divinity degree desirable
• Meets Biblical qualifications for pastoral leadership
The role of the Children’s Ministry Pastor/Director is to provide leadership, development, and direction for the Children’s Ministry staff and volunteer programming teams as it pertains to the vision, mission and strategy of all environments specific to Turning Point Next Generations Ministries. The Children’s Ministry Pastor/Director also provides direct oversight to all Early Childhood Ministries (0 years – Kindergarten).
Turning Point Competencies & Expectations:
• Fully embraces the mission, vision and values of Turning Point at Mabel White Baptist Church.
• Be reliable, take initiative and be self-motivated.
• Embrace and adapt to growth, change, innovation and creativity.
• Use appropriate judgment in the areas of discretion, sensitivity and confidentiality.
• Have a cooperative, healthy and motivating relationship with supervisors, coworkers and volunteers.
• Active and growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ, evidenced by action, attitude and behavior.
• A passion for children’s ministry and to see families grow in their faith together.
• Previous experience with direction and administration of large church Children’s Ministries or experience in
recruiting, motivating, equipping and scheduling volunteer leaders to minister to children and families.
• Experience in designing and developing children’s ministry programs.
• Effective communication skills (written, verbal and interpersonal).
• Demonstrated ability to understand and relate to children and their families and a passion to see families
grow in their faith together.
• Ability to reach out and connect with families involved with Turning Point’s Church’s Early Childhood
• Competency with basic computer software (Excel, Word, Publisher), and the capacity to learn new software
(Photoshop, Planning Center, others).
• Ministers as an extension of the Senior Pastor.
• Reports directly to the Next Generations Pastor.
• Supervises and directs Children’s Ministry staff.
• Receives support from peers on Next Generation Ministries team.
• Receives consistent leadership training from the Next Generation Pastor.
• Works closely with all areas of ministries within Turning Point at Mabel White Baptist Church.
• Provide vision, strategy, & development for all Children’s Ministry environments (birth – 6th grade).
• Provide leadership, direction and training for all Children’s Ministry Staff
• Review, purchase and oversee the implementation of all curriculum for the Large Group/Small Group
teaching environments (2 years – 6th grade).
• Direct oversight of all Early Childhood Ministries (3 years – Kindergarten).
• Recruit and oversee all early childhood volunteers providing leadership, training, and appreciation.
• Develop and maintain safe, clean, aesthetic early childhood learning environments.
• Oversee childcare for Family Ministries and all-church events as directed including, but not limited to,
productions, annual meeting, Family Ministry seminars, Christmas Eve.
• Responsible for check-in procedures and tracking weekly attendance.
• Meets regularly with the Family Ministries Pastor to discuss ministry strategy and effectiveness.
Dr. Lee Sheppard