A. ABOUT OUR CHURCH
Located near the Sandia Mountains of eastern Albuquerque, Monterey Baptist Church began in 1973 with 16 members and a desire to minister to the Manzano neighborhood. Today, MBC has a wonderful facility that is directly across the street from Manzano High School and is increasingly focused on serving their diverse community for Jesus Christ.
In January of 2018, the church called Aaron Crawford to become their 10th pastor. Pastor Aaron left a growing multi-site church in northern Los Angeles to lead Monterey into the next generations with a multi-generational vision that includes a desire to integrate music into the worship service using both traditional and contemporary styles/songs.
B. POSITION OVERVIEW
Worship isn’t just music, but music is one of the ways we worship together in a church setting. Monterey Baptist Church is seeking a Worship Leader who will build the body of Christ and draw people into worshiping God primarily through carefully chosen music and lyrics in both contemporary and traditional styles, but also by incorporating other elements (prayer, Scripture, testimonies, etc.) that encourages the church to worship. The Worship Leader shoulders responsibility for the flow of the service and the mood and readiness of the congregation to hear God’s word as spoken through the pastor. When leading the congregation into worship, the Worship Leader must be sensitive to the style of music that best fits the needs of the congregation.
The Worship Leader at MBC will be responsible for planning and implementing the music for our worship services, and will contribute meaningfully to the leadership of our church. The Worship Leader is directly responsible to, and under the supervision of, the pastor.
C. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Oversee all worship and musical elements for the church.
I. Make sure the band/pianist/volunteers are ready to lead worship.
II. Make sure the media/sound volunteers are ready to serve with excellence.
2. Support the ongoing ministry of our church choir, either by directing the choir or by overseeing and supporting a volunteer choir director.
3. Work with the pastor to plan the music for our worship services and other events.
I. Order of Service is done on time
II. Slides are ready (we currently use Proclaim, which is accessible online)
4. Function as a specialist in the music and production/technical areas of our church, supporting all areas of ministry.
5. Lead our music/media/tech volunteers and staff (e.g. pianist) in being fully equipped and prepared (rehearsals, run-throughs, meetings, conferences, training, etc).
6. Serve on the Music Committee.
7. Adhere to our staff policies.
8. Join MBC in membership, becoming a vibrant part of the life of the church.
9. Other duties as assigned.
1. Have a Christian experience and testimony which begins with Jesus Christ and demonstrates a present and continuing walk with the Lord.
2. Have a passion for worship and an ability to lead others to worship, particularly through music, but also through prayer, Scripture reading, testimonies, and other means.
3. Be musically talented and comfortable before a congregation.
4. Ability to read music is preferred.
5. Desire to grow the ministry into a full-time position is preferred.