First Southern Baptist Church (FSBC) is a growing Southern Baptist congregation in the St. George Utah area that exists to make and equip disciples of Jesus Christ. Our understanding of biblical discipleship is summarized by three words: Exalt, Equip and Engage. We desire to be a congregation who exalts the Lord, equips His saints, and engages the world with the gospel of Christ.
The primary responsibility of the Associate Pastor/Elder entails overseeing ministries of FSBC that are aligned under the study component of the Lord's church; thus it is heavily oriented towards discipleship. The Associate is to be a co-laborer in the spiritual leadership of the church, working under the guidance of the Pastor. He will perform other duties in the life of the church as assigned. The Associate will transition into the role of lead Pastor upon retirement of the current Pastor.
• Is a Christian man and role model, preferably married, who is Scripturally qualified to hold the church office of pastor in accordance with 1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:6-9; and 1 Peter 5:1-4.
• Must fully agree with the doctrine and teachings of the Baptist Faith and Message as adopted in 2000.
• Must be an ordained or licensed Southern Baptist Minister.
• Shares his faith personally and regularly and has a burden to reach the lost with the Gospel.
• Feels a strong calling to shepherd/lead the Lord’s church.
• Demonstrates a growing relationship with the Lord, consisting of a devotional life of prayer, Bible study, and meditation on God’s Word.
• Must demonstrate proficiency in the following areas:
o Ability to apply in-depth scriptural knowledge and application in his work and relationships both within and outside the church.
o Previous experience in preaching and/or teaching the Word of God.
o Experience leading discipleship ministries.
o Experience in mentoring and leading believers.
o Ability to offer Biblical counseling.
o Experience providing administrative oversight for various church ministries.
o Ability to maintain a cohesive relationship with pastor and staff in a team atmosphere.
• Required to have seminary and theological training consistent with evangelical and Baptist doctrine, with a preference that candidate holds a Master of Divinity (or equivalent) degree.
• Work as part of a pastoral team in the development of the overall plans for guiding the church through the preaching and teaching of the Word of God.
• Work with staffing, including the recruitment, training, and development of lay leaders.
• Assist the Pastor in overseeing ministries providing pastoral guidance, training, and administrative oversight.
• Evaluate the need for, plan, and implement various special discipleship studies within the church as needed.
• Engage in curriculum development for various ministries of the church.
• Work with the Pastor, Staff and Church Council in guiding the overall logistics and scheduling of the Church so that ministry planning aligns with ministry goals.
• Provide initial counseling to those who are in need of spiritual guidance and advice.
• Regularly participate in pastoral care (such as shut-in and hospital visitation) as needed and assigned.
• Help to equip the body in outreach to the prospects and the community.
• Conduct the ordinances as needed and assigned by the Pastor.
• As a service to the church, conduct and officiate weddings and funerals, as assigned by the Pastor.
Join us for Worship! FSBC meets now in our larger renovated facility in Washington, UT, just 4 miles from our former St. George location. FSBC is a place where you can meet God, get connected, and build authentic relationships (John 13:35). If you are visiting the St. George/Washington area, considering relocating to our area, just haven't been to church in a while or never been to church, we invite you to come and meet Jesus Christ for yourself through the preaching of God's Word (1 Cor. 1:21-25), the Bible, and the power of His Spirit. Be our guest for the Morning Bible Study and Worship Service. During a portion of the Worship Service we also have a Children's Church for the young among us. When you come you will find: Christ-centered preaching and teaching from the Word of God A traditional/contemporary blended morning worship service A caring congregation that will gladly welcome you Ministries to meet the spiritual needs of every age A place where you can believe and belong