Armitage Baptist Church in Chicago is seeking an energetic business administrator to manage the day-to-day operations and serve as a church leader.
• Oversees the general business of the church
• Ensures the effective, compliant, efficient daily management of all operational, financial, business, and property functions
• Oversees budget and accounting, payroll, purchase and expense transactions, manages sponsored accounts, charitable giving, staff organization, recruitment, training, and performance
• Oversees space safety and facility projects
• Provides thoughtful leadership and reviewing and recommending policy and procedure to facilitate operational excellence
• Supports the church mission by ensuring adherence to bylaws, policies, and procedures and by participating in church events and programs
- Oversees financial management by monitoring receipts & disbursements, account balances, loans, pay orders, etc.
- Serves as a primary signatory on the church's bank and credit card accounts
- Schedules financial reviews, coordinates preparation for reviews and follow Oversees budget preparation process
- Prepares graphs/spreadsheets to monitor and project long-term financial trends
- Maintains financial and tax files
- Ensures church compliance with all tax and legal regulations, including 501c3 tax exempt status, 1099 designations, self-employed status, property tax exemption forms, Form 990, and responding to IDES/IRS/IDR correspondence, etc.
- Manages health insurance and benefits and ensures those resources are maintained and information made available
- Oversees and leverages use of all properties, facilities, and equipment in pursuit of the church’s mission
- Acts as leasing agent for all rental properties (including Linden lot) and ensures the proper management/preparation/filing of paperwork (leases, permits, legal notices, insurances, etc.)
- Oversees personnel related to the function of Business Administrator including office and facilities staff
- Oversees and participates in all capital improvement projects as needed
- Works to create strong teams of volunteers where appropriate
- Serve as the Human Resource director in charge to coordinate all employment decisions
- Evaluate employee compensation levels and make recommendations as needed
- Lead staff meetings and prayer devotions
- Be active member in the church to provide energy, inspiration and encouragement to parishioners.
- Bachelor's degree preferred; advanced degree desirable with a background in finance, accounting, business administration and/or project management
- At least 3 years of professional administrative experience, preferably in a non-profit organization or church setting
- Billing experience with accounts payable preferred
- Superb organizational skills required
- Must be extremely flexible, a strategic thinker and thrive working within a structured framework
- Excellent problem solving, decision making, interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills
- Very high level of initiative required
- Ability to handle large volume of work often restricted by deadlines required
- Ability to multi-task and work independently and as part of a team required
- Some project management experience a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office required
- Spanish speaking a plus
- Associate’s degree
- Member in good standing of church of like faith and willing to transfer membership to Armitage Baptist Church in order to participate in church body life
- At least two years administrative experience involving an organization whose operating budget exceeds $500K
- Understands and is acclimated to church culture, service and its demands
At Armitage, you are at home. We are large enough to meet the needs of your entire family yet the personal touch is not lost. Families of all sizes, shapes, and descriptions as well as singles find they are comfortable in the all-ages congregation composed of people from a variety of ethnic, religious and social backgrounds.