The First Baptist Church of Memphis is seeking to hire a man for the role of Associate Pastor of Youth to oversee all children and youth ministries for pre-K through 12th grade. While responsibilities will focus primarily on the young people in our community, he will serve under the supervision of the Senior Pastor and be knowledgeable of all church and community-wide ministries in order to assist the Senior Pastor in these ministries as needed. The Associate Pastor of Youth must be willing to work alongside other church leaders within our Baptist Association and local community of churches.
Memphis is a rural community with a population of ~2000 people. It is the county seat of Scotland County and has high-quality schools, a hospital and care center and many local businesses to meet our needs. Major shopping areas can be reached by car within 50 minutes. Memphis is active for a small-town having a strong sense of community that supports an indoor community recreation complex, a swimming pool, a farmer’s market and a community movie theater and playhouse and a variety of community activities. This strong sense of community is also exhibited in the local churches, which play a vital role in meeting community needs through our ministry outreach efforts. The area is also known for its excellent hunting and fishing.
Please send a resume and refer to our website to fill out the online application. If your resume answers the questions, you may simply put "see resume".
Requirements of Associate Pastor of Youth (pre-K thru 12th grade):
1. A born-again believer who meets the biblical qualifications of pastor/elder as given in Scripture (1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:5-9 and 1 Peter 5:1-4) and believes God is calling him to this ministry position
2. A disciple of Christ who has an ongoing intimate relationship with God including daily time in prayer and God’s word and a desire to continue to grow spiritually and take advantage of growth opportunities
3. Desire to make the Great Commission a priority in his everyday life having compassion for the lost and an earnest desire to see people come to faith in Jesus Christ and learn to walk in His ways through His word
4. If he has a family, he will realize his primary ministry is his family, while not neglecting those he has been called by the church to pastor/shepherd. He is striving for balance.
5. Affirm and willing to teach and preach according to the doctrinal views expressed in the Baptist Faith and Message 2000
6. Give pastoral direction to and oversight of all teaching and activities of youth (pre-K thru 12th grade) ministries including developing an annual calendar and budget for the ministries
7. Be able to effectively communicate his vision for the youth ministry to the church family and youth parents keeping both informed of all upcoming events, changes and new initiatives in the ministry.
8. Develop lessons and sermons and be able to teach and preach the biblical principles and stories of the Bible in an age-appropriate manner
9. Recruit, train and meet regularly with volunteer youth workers to discuss ministries
10. Provide biblical counseling and guidance to teens and their families on an individual basis and be willing to visit youth who are hospitalized or otherwise unable to attend ministry activities
11. Develop an active outreach ministry to teens and their parents in our community that is integrated with the outreach efforts of the church
12. Actively seek ways to partner with parents in discipling their children and equipping them as the primary spiritual teachers of their children
13. Believe and practice the principles of giving as outlined in the Bible
14. Attend weekly staff meetings ready to share and report on youth ministry activities and learn of events and activities that are going on in the overall life of the church with a desire to discern what God is doing in the life of the church and a willingness to refine and coordinate ministries to meet Him most effectively.
15. Work alongside the Senior Pastor, become knowledgeable of FBC ministries within the church and the community and assist him in shepherding FBC Memphis in all these efforts including filling the pulpit in Sunday services as needed
16. Musical abilities are a plus and could open an opportunity for a dual position as Worship Leader with appropriate compensation for a man who is called of God and could do well in both roles. (THIS IS NOT A REQUIREMENT)