1. Develops, refines and propagates the vision of the school to and with the WEC, to the administration, faculty, parents and students of the school by constantly reading, reviewing and pondering pertinent historical and current visions and models of academic, community and cultural excellence resulting in a school full of truth, beauty and goodness.
2. Oversees the implementation of the long term strategic planning of the school by advising the WEC in these matters, reminding the WEC of the schools goals and commitments resulting in the incarnation of the vision of the school.
3. Recruits teachers by developing a plan to attract great teachers (in conjunction with the WEC, Personnel Committee of the church or others as need be) and by executing that plan resulting in the excellent faculty being in place for First Academy.
4. Oversees the assignment, evaluation, training, encouragement, discipline and inspiration of the teaching staff by leading and developing academic community resulting in an excellent faculty which is consistently growing and improving over time.
5. Make sure student needs are met by working with faculty and WEC to determine students’ needs and by making sure that policies are in place to meet those needs resulting in positive experience of learning for students.
6. Oversees student discipline by working with the faculty and by building relationships with students resulting in students living godly lives.
7. Monitors cultural trends in the school—correcting negative trends and inspiring positive cultural growth—by consistently being involved in the life of the school as an observer and participant resulting in a godly culture at First Academy.
8. Oversees curriculum choices and development by working with the Curriculum Committee and the faculty of the school to foresee needed curriculum, improve or replace deficient curriculum resulting in the use of the best curriculum available by First Academy.
9. Discovers best practices in broader academic community and implements them at First Academy by interacting with other educational leaders and communities resulting in constantly improving practices at First Academy.
10. Direct the daily operation of First Academy by supervising the staff, by coordination of activities by creation of clear lines of authority and by setting the tone for a quality Christian educational program resulting in a school that runs smoothly.
11. Builds relationships with like-minded institutions to benefit the school by interacting with, cooperating with and supporting these institutions resulting in a network of helpfulness among like-minded local institutions.
12. Maintains accurate personnel records by overseeing procedures and practices resulting in consistent and meaningful records being kept.
13. Creates, revises and monitors the standards and policies of First Academy by consistently interacting with the staff, faculty, parents and students of the school resulting in the implementation and alteration of policies and practices of the school.
14. Oversees the creation of the yearly budget by working with the WEC, Finance Committee and the bookkeeper to draft and revise the budget in March resulting in a school that operates within its means. The school budget is based on the school year of August – July.
15. Oversees that financial accounting by overseeing through the Office Manager the reports of the bookkeeper resulting in proper, timely and accurate financial accounting is made to the WEC and the Finance Committee.
16. Oversees student recruitment by serving on the ad hoc marketing committee and by meeting with and attracting godly families to register their children at First Academy resulting in the growth of our student population.
17. Serves as an ex-officio member of the WEC.
18. Other responsibilities as required by the WEC.
19. The Headmaster will serve as a staff member of First Baptist Church Douglas, therefore they must meet the requirements for membership in the church as well as the expectations of a staff member.
1. This position demands a bachelor’s degree (preferably in the Humanities), but a graduate degree in educational administration/supervision or equivalent is preferred.
2. This position requires a broad knowledge of theological, philosophical history.
3. Experience in Christian school administration desirable, but not required
4. The Headmaster must also be conversant with and supportive of the Baptist faith and must be able to affirm the Baptist Faith and Message 2000.
5. The Headmaster should work to constantly expand his abilities by gaining further training in areas of weakness.